Observed Trials
May 07, 2024, 02:13:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: here we go, 5 star tackles the scottish  (Read 12674 times)
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:51:14 am »

its Friday morning and yesterday was our first day in fort William. This place is pretty awesome. huge hills huge grass hills going all the way down to deep deep locks. yesterday we did a half day of shopping in town, then drove to a couple sections and 2 castle ruins from the 1200s. it was so awesome. today we are headed to the pre 65 trial and I cannot wait to see the old british bikes in action. tomorrow we get our bikes and parts and start the setup process. thank you all for your support, its absolutely awesome were over here.

its Friday morning and yesterday was our first day in fort William. This place is pretty awesome. huge hills huge grass hills going all the way down to deep deep locks. yesterday we did a half day of shopping in town, then drove to a couple sections and 2 castle ruins from the 1200s. it was so awesome. today we are headed to the pre 65 trial and I cannot wait to see the old british bikes in action. tomorrow we get our bikes and parts and start the setup process. thank you all for your support, its absolutely awesome were over here.
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »

we had a pretty awesome day today. we got to go watch day one of the pre 65 Scottish. I cannot describe how cool it was. the bikes are insane, way better than any bike museum and the riding they were doing was easily advanced and expert at home. but they were cleaning sections on 500 ariels, bsa, triumphs, james, ajs, cotton, greeves, matchless, and many many more. we spent most tbe day chasing the trial, but had time to look at some dicey sections for next week. grey mares tail is gonna be a nightmare, I don't even wanna think about it. we made it to pipeline today and it was a real treat to to see the famous section. tomorrow we get bikes, and many more riders and people are rolling in. im excited to ride and prep tomorrow. sunday is sign up and the parade. its all coming together. thanks again everyone and we will keep you posted.
m wirth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:18:41 pm »

Paul, I'm glad you guys are having a great time, thanks for the posts on your travels, the next posts will likely be on your travails. Could you post your numbers for you and the Sweetens, I found them once on the ssdt site but not again.
best luck and feet up

mike
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:13:35 pm »

its sat night here, and we had another good day. we finally got our bikes, and they are pretty sweet. they were totally Scottish six day prepped with guards and auxiliary fuel. all the bolts were lock tighted and airbox and fenders were all taped. all me and dad had to do was put in my tire balls, mount my seat and put on my grip heaters. the beta mechanic put on my grip heaters so that was super cool. me dennis and keith finally got ride and we had a blast. it was such a treat to ride in the hills with my friends. its hard to imagine what we can ride over here, just epic. my bike worked well and im very happy with the setup I have. it has started to rain and im beging to realize its going to be a really tough week. tomorrow is tech, impound and the parade. then we all look forward to day 1.

mike, my number is 125, keith is 126 and dennis is 1 minute behind dougie lampkin at 131.
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

its sunday night and we had another successful day. we got signed up early, and had no problem impounding. we also got to be in the parade and it was really neat to see all the bikes and people. so many people love trials here. a highlight of the morning was meeting dougie lampkin and hes even gonna be repping our t shirt! weve lost our good weather, and it looks to be gone all week. so we will be very cold and wet. it will be a very interesting week, a very tough wet and cold week. tomorrow we start, and results should be posted on www.ssdt.org after every day.
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:53:29 am »

well, day one is in the books. we all survived. it was a good day, I really felt like I took care of my bike and made good decisions. I didn't rain all day which was a big plus. we rode around 75 miles today and 30 sections. I didn't feel very good in the sections but I kind of expected to ride tight. my bike is really working good. my seat setup is working perfect. it is geared to the moon which totally rocks on the roads but it is a little dicey in the sections. I got a lot of 5s today, a fair amount of 3s and maybe 4 or 5 cleans. the first clean I did I was so stoked and dougie lampkin said I pissed right up and would have dreams about it. that totally made my trip right there. tomorrow is a big day, well over 100 miles and an hour and a half longer than today.

m wirth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 04:31:01 pm »

Paul and Dennis stop the parade 58 seconds in on this Sunday video.
http://vimeo.com/93876739

mike
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 12:24:18 pm »

day 2 down. man it was a long one. well over 100 miles and over 8 hours on the bike, quite a few muddy mores. they are just insane. I felt good in the mores and kept a good pace, but my section riding still wasn't as good as I like. I stayed on time today which was tough, lots of people were late. I got a new tire on for tomorrow and that will be needed because im beat. it was rainy today and cold sometimes. tomorrow should be good, a little shorter. short is good, because im beat.
johnishy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »

Cheesy Shorter doesn't mean easier, as you will soon find out.
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:59 am »

another day down. still doing ok. we were the first group out today so all the sections were really slick. I rode ahead of schedule again making even worse. the sections were super gnarly today and I got a lot of fives. I think it will be a high scoring day for most. rumor is dougie dropped 11 today. it has been raining like no other almost every day and today we paid for it. the creeks were running very high, absolutely insane. we even had to push bikes across river crossings and a big river jump to get across. my bike is still together and is giving me no problems. tomorrow is a big day and we are the late group now so I think the mores will be tore up like crazy. tomorrow is day 4 and we will see how it goes. fyi it was shorter but as ishy said im still beat.

woodsrider

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 11:17:22 pm »

wow! thanks for the live reporting! I would be too tired to type! Keep it up!
Couple vids from tue/wed I came across...

http://vimeo.com/94210870

http://vimeo.com/94447650
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 03:24:36 pm »

well day 4 is done. it was a pretty tough day, the sections were a lot easier today as today was our late start day. the creeks were scrubbed by all the early riders. I felt like I rode the sections pretty good. I had one big fall off a wall and im very thankfull my bike is unharmed and I didn't get hurt. the trail on the other hand was completely beat, and the mooors were wrecked and absolutely sucked. but I made it through and Im very happy to still be on time, getting some cleans and getting closer to day 6.
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 02:29:05 pm »

day 5 is is wrapped up finally. the sections were tough and I am seriously tired. I just didn't have much push left in my legs and got quite a bit of fives. im still very pleased with my riding and am still holding my own. I didn't have any crashes or issues today but fatigue. everyone is tired though, it seams all of us riders keep talking about at every section. there was a lot of road today and the ferry ride back to fort William. the few moors we did have were nasty though. I hate them. moors are hard to describe and have to be experienced by one to understand. tomorrow is supposed to be kinda hard but hopefully ive got a final day second wind.
Paul Neff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 12:18:39 pm »

the 2014 Scottish six day trials is now over. we made it! there was no rest at the ssdt, today was still brutal. almost all offroad today with bumpy trails and once again nasty moors. the last few groups were super hard but the earlier ones were pretty good. overall I am extremely happy with my week, my riding and my ability to keep my bike going. this event is super tough and I am very proud to have finished.. the support from my friends, family and the northwest trials community was overwhelming. I cant thank everyone enough. this was truly an experience and has changed my outlook on trials and motorcycling in general. I cant wait for the awards ceremony tonight.
m wirth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 08:46:22 pm »

Great ride guys, Dennis was #127 with 312 points; Keith was #133 with 322 points and Paul was #167 with 399 points. and I'm tired after just a regular 2 day event and maybe 30 miles total. Here is a link to the final scores.
http://www.fgits.co.uk/docs/Daily.txt

mike
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: