Observed Trials
May 17, 2024, 01:03:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of Two Strokes  (Read 3059 times)
Sideup
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:14:02 pm »

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/future-of-two-strokes.html
-------------
Quote: "The antagonist in my little play is Suzuki's RMZE 250. It says "Enduro Racing" on the swingarm. This is the motocrosser with minimum chassis changes to qualify as an enduro model. There is no electric starter or other non-essential to add weight. It weighs 229 lbs - less gas. It has five speeds and makes 33.4 hp @ 11.250 rpm. (All numbers in this comparison are from MotoVerde magazine tests, not maker's claims.)

The protagonist (drum roll, please) is the KTM 105 JMC. (I will explain the odd suffix.) This little 105-cc wonder rips 30.5 hp @ 12,000 rpm and has six speeds. But what makes it fly is that the all-up weight, less gas, is under 155 pounds! No, that is not a misprint; Suzy weighs 75 pounds more.

Do this: Go out to the garage and find something that weighs about 75 lbs - a washing machine maybe. Pick it up. Do you really want to take that riding with you?
----------------

The link for this article was on Trials Central, but for those who did not find it this link is a very good read.
Just think of having a high powered 105 cc KTM engine that the author talks about on a trials bike.

Besides the obvious 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke comparison, my take on the message the author is trying to point out is due to marketing reasons and because it is less effort, (more profit) no manufacturer is pushing the limits of the current technology to get more power, with less emissions from smaller motorcycle motors.  It's easier to just throw more CC's in a motor for more torque and power.  Certainly true in current trials bike design.

back jetty
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:54:24 pm by Sideup » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: