Observed Trials
May 17, 2024, 01:52:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1996 Gas Gas JTR250 - anything I need to be aware of?  (Read 6401 times)
Tawmass

View Profile Email
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:49 pm »

My girlfriend has enjoyed riding my Montesa 4RT around recently, so we've been keeping an eye opened for a good, beginner trials bike for her and we picked up a '96 Gas Gas JTR250. It needed a top end, so am in process of dealing with that, then over the winter I'll be going through the bearings and all the detail items. Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding this bike that you wise sages can remember from a bike that old?
thanks!
-Tom
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:06:03 am by Tawmass » Logged
m wirth

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »

Hi Tom, I had a 97, and was totally pleased with the reliability of it as in it never broke unless I broke something on it, hose it off and go again. Even after I got my "new" 04 I kept the Gas Gas for my trail bike since I liked the trans gearing better than my Sherco for trail riding and the fuel tank was a little larger than the newer bikes. I just sold it 2 years ago to get a friend back into riding and it is still going strong. Just do the "dog bones" and trans oil twice a year and every thing will be good.
mike Grin
Tawmass

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »

Hey Mike, thanks for the response and info! Also, if you can stand me, would love to go riding with you sometime and get some tips.
-Tom
Tawmass

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:53 am »

Got it all assembled/adjusted/lubed and it runs and handles great. Biggest hassle was flushing the confounded rear brakes, but eventually learned the trick. Only problem is that my girlfriend can't kickstart it, so might be searching for something a bit smaller eventually, but as long as I'm around to start it for her, she's happy. Thanks again for the response Mike.
-Tom
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:18:01 am by Tawmass » Logged
m wirth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »

Tom, that is a really clean bike and should give lots of trail and trials riding fun, I think those years were the most bullet proof.
As for her starting it, what I do at the end of an event when my knees are toast is lean the bars to a tree or the skid to a rock and stand with both feet on the pegs and just use your whole body to push on the kicker, it's a bitch getting old, but like your little saying we're still out there.
You two will have to come out to an event, the winner of the novice class, Jillian, I'm sure could give her some excellent insight to riding.
mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: