Observed Trials
May 17, 2024, 12:29:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Epic Jay Lael story ?  (Read 26185 times)
m wirth

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »

One more and I'm done. Here is Sherrell Steinhauer on his sara taco 1971, he was the inspiration for a lot of the Portland, Willamette Valley riders of this era. Bill and Judy Brennan are on the bank, Larry Schwantes boy is in back round.
Instigate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 04:00:52 pm »

Awesome shots Mike!  Keep them coming!
David Pyle

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 04:53:17 pm »

Good memory Mike !! The Sara-taco was awesome. Sherrell did several Trials schools & I remember that bike. I was always too young to participate but was a sponge and watched.

Farley Schwantes had an XR75 and we competed together in the mini class in 72-74.

I need to dig out some of my old photos, scan them in and figure out how to attach.

Good fun !
Max
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 10:32:11 am »

love the old pictures Mike!! Keep em coming!
JayLael

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 12:06:26 pm »

My visit to California  was in 1976. The Honda RC factory motocross bike, referred to as the type2,  featured a relocated swing arm pivot, closer to the counter shaft sprocket, and revised handling specs. The type 1 works bike was 1975 and prior. I was told by Jon Rosensteil, the head technician and all around genius, in charge of the Honda R&D, their very advanced and incredibly impressive development program for motocross bikes. they destroyed these incredible works bikes,  to keep Yamaha, Suzuki etc from having the chance to dissect them and figure out their ideas.

As you might imagine, a ranch kid from Montana doesn't get to see many works bikes. My trip to California began in an unusual, and unpredictable fashion, when I went to the 1976 Wagner Cup USA world championship trials near Gold Bar Washington. At that time I was 17 and had been riding trials since the tender age of thirteen, and had since progressed to Expert class and worn out one 250 OSSA Mick Andrews replica, and had just bought myself  a brand new OSSA 350 MAR. I was living just outside of  Missoula Montana. The minimum age to compete and hold an FIM license was 18. I was six months shy of becoming 18, so I was a spectator at the World championship trials event.. The next day after this world trial was July 26th, 1976 which will remain burned upon my memory for the rest of my life.  

I felt quite strongly at the time that I had enough skills and bravery to be a world class trials rider. I had competed as an expert since the age of 14, and had even been noticed by John Taylor of Yankee motor company. I received a parcel from the local dealer, containing a letter on company stationary, from the president of Yankee motors, saying "Congratulations to your sponsored rider on his recent wins". In the box there was a specially set up Bing carburetor and a super cool factory exhaust system for my bike, to keep! I was the happiest kid, just elated by that, and feeling like I was on the brink of fame and fortune as a factory trials rider.
The problem was that fate was about to deliver a severe setback to my dream. It came in the way of a semi truck that did not budge, when I crashed into it while attempting a foolish pass on a two lane road. My traveling buddy, Vince and I had just crossed the state line, passing the "welcome to Montana" sign on interstate 90, after driving for most of that Monday, within 200 miles of being home. The van rolled over and over, treating myself and Vince to the experience of being like a cat in a dryer. One filled with motorcycles, tools, gas cans,camping gear and our food box, containing bread peanut butter, jam, and raisin bran cereal, which was evenly distributed throughout the inside of my unlucky Ford Econoline van. The whole works finally came to rest on top of my left leg
.The windshield had blown out and the top of the van was crushed down 8 inches or so. We were not wearing seat belts, and I'm not sure the van even had any. Vince's hand was cut very badly, and he was white as a ghost, but he was at least able to stand up and try to help me. Problem was the weight of the van made it impossible for me to move, and there was gasoline spreading on the pavement in an ever widening circle. Imagine my horror when a helpful motorist with a cigarette was asking if he could help. Some level headed guys asked the man to please get back far away with that cigarette. They found my bumper jack and began to lift the van off my leg with it.

As luck would have it, there was a road crew working nearby and they had a backhoe. They ran and brought it back with a heavy chain and lifted the van up about a foot or so, and the men grabbed me by the shoulders and dragged me out from under it. My badly broken left leg skittered along the pavement as they moved me back, and just as they got me clear, the van settled, and would have crushed me if the had not gotten me out of there quickly. They covered me with sleeping bags and coats until I was swaddled completely and at that moment a white middle aged woman with Dear Abby hairdo approached me and held my hand. In a West Virgina accent, she said, "I hope you know that the reason you are still alive is because Jesus loves you. If you don't think so, just look around you." and I nodded my head and through tears I said, "Yes, he must".

Shortly an ambulance arrived and they hauled Vince and I down the pass to a tiny town called Silverton. There we were admitted and shared a room. I remember through the fog of sedation, the doctor placed his knee right in the middle of my crotch, pulled on my left foot very hard with a sudden heave! I was looking at the reflection of my leg in the stainless steel lamp shade in the operating room, and I saw the jagged end of my fibula (the larger lower leg bone) suck back inside my leg, and I had to look away. He stitched up the hole where the bone had just been sticking out, and slapped a plaster cast on it as I drifted off to sleepy land.

I spent an entire week there in a shared room with Vince and some old guy who was dying of lung cancer. He was hooked up to a great huge machine which mostly prevented him from speaking, except when they came in to take him off the iron lung to smoke his daily cigarette. He said, "What happened to you guys?" and I thought about it for a minute and said, "We crashed". This struck Vince and I funny and we laughed like it was the most hilarious joke we had ever heard. After several days there, Vince's Mom showed up, having driven all the way from Whitefish, and we said our good byes, me apologizing one more time for the mess I had gotten us into.

The rest of the week passed, and my step Dad showed up to cart me home in the family pickup truck. He had made a bed for me in the back and put on a canopy, which seems like a relic of the past today. I have to say the first time I was in a vehicle traveling at 60 mph, was the most terrified I had ever been up to that point in my life. I wanted to bang on the window and ask him to stop the truck, but he had the radio turned up and never looked back even once the entire trip home. Another week passed before my parents had the van hauled home, with our smashed up dreams inside. At the two week mark I was up and around on crutches and proceeded to straighten my bent rear frame loop and handlebars, and just could not resist the urge to ride her around the yard. Next thing I know I am barging up the creek, trying to clean one of my favorite practice sections. The left turn at the end caused me to loose my balance, and when I tried to take a dab with that broken leg, I folded up like a house of cards.

I was immediately trying to fabricate some kind of brace so I could practice, which I made by sawing a section out of a feed bucket, applied some foam and tape, and made quite the brace. I got to where I could clean all my practice sections on one leg, apparently adapting to this situation, never once considering the madness and ridiculous futility of it all. The world round trials had left it's mark on me, and this is about the time I found out that my girl friend had broken up with me. I took this very hard, but I can see why she felt it was time to cut me loose. She was clearly not my priority, and it must have been the obvious choice for her.

I resigned myself to an earnest attempt at healing, so I was on a vitamin regime, and drinking crazy amounts of milk, which I thought would speed my recovery. I remember I read the entire bible cover to cover that summer, and was convinced that my leg would be as good as new in six weeks, since that is the magic number you hear people throwing about, and Jesus loved me, this I knew. At six weeks to the day, I sawed my own cast off, and slipped the Heckel trials boot on, with the piece of feed bucket inside it. So far so good, and I made plans to ride the California nationals at Donner pass. The trial was two more weeks away so I figured it ought to be good as new by then. I made arrangements to ship the OSSA in parcels under 50 lbs each, so in the end I had four boxes of Ossa. One bright and early morning, my Mother drove me and the parcels to the bus station in Missoula, and I took my seat on the bus, headed to Portland Oregon. There was a nice looking old gentleman sitting next to me on the bus, so I tried to strike up a cheerful conversation with him by saying, "Where you headed?" "To hell!, he replied. We did not speak again the entire trip, and I think it was ok with him.

It's a twelve hour trip from Missoula to Portland if you are in a car and driving fast, but on the greyhound it took quite a bit longer. I had a trials buddy, Brad Skreen, waiting for me at the Greyhound station in Portland and we greeted each other and watched as a heavy set black guy was unloading the parcels. The one with the engine made a terrible clank, as he swung it out of the cargo hold and dropped it upside down onto the concrete. Brad approached the man and asked him to be careful, as there was an engine inside the box. He gave us that look, like a teenager rolling his eyes at his parents when they say "Are you sure riding a national with a broken leg is a good idea?" The OSSA suffered a broken cylinder fin, but still worked. My friend took me on a brief tour of Portland, where I saw a huge shopping mall named Washington square, and ultimately we arrived at the home of trials legend, Powroll Honda sponsored rider, Jay Terry. I had the bike assembled and ready to ride just as the sun went down over Lake Oswego, and the next day before it was light, we set off for California.

We were in a pickup truck with three trials bikes in the back, towing a small camper. The driver was Bill May, and shotgun was Brad Skreen who incidentally won a national trials event overall on a Montesa in 1980. I was seated in the middle, and all that day we drove all the way to Donner Pass to Norm and Mitzi Taylor's Donner ski ranch. We had a small practice session and the first thing I found out was that the bikes run terribly at this altitude. I didn't have a single spare jet for the Bing, and as I asked around the pits I got no help. So I would have to ride up huge boulders on a bike that ran like it had the choke on, with a halfway broken leg! Optimism sometimes needs a reality check, and I was about to get one in a big way!

The rider's meeting was a nervous experience as looking around you saw factory stars from all over the USA. Trials were pretty well attended and were covered by the press. Len Weed of Dirt bike magazine was there. The Honda factory team was there, Bernie Schreiber was schooling everyone on how to ride a trials bike without saying one word. He was an intensely serious rider, and man did his bike run good. I was told that Bernie's dad had machined the cylinder head, advanced the timing, and made a science of slide cutaway mods, different needles etc. Bernie could do a floating turn about 360 degrees on a slight side hill! I was saving my leg so rode very little. Marland Whaley was riding a factory Honda RTL 300 that was said to have cost $30,000 in 1976 money to build! The team Honda members rode out of a Gigantic Dodge tradesman van, extra long version, with a second row of seats. It was a kind of tan orange color, I like to call baby sh%t brown, that towed an enormous enclosed trailer with a small workshop and lots of spares inside. It had three foot long Honda wing emblems on the sides and said Team Honda.

The Sunday morning of the national dawned nice and sunny. It was late summer at ten thousand feet, and the Donner Ski ranch was and is still a beautiful wondrous place. The rocks are everywhere and are mostly huge, granite stones with unbelievable grip! The first section was a little tricky wet stream right in the parking lot. Then we followed a trail into the back country, with sections scattered along at fairly small intervals. This is when I found out another problem I was going to have. The trial was set up in a very unorthodox fashion. They had created an event with 50 sections and only one loop! This meant I would have to walk 50 sections instead of ten or twelve, subsequently riding them from memory, as I had planned. Walking at all was very hard, and what was starting to dawn on me was that there was no way I could walk them all. I rode as well as I could, on the blubbering dog of an OSSA, and a sore leg that was getting more and more painful by the minute.

I think I made in to section 22 or something, and was literally crawling up the rocky sections and getting scared of falling on the steep ground with my bad leg. That's when I saw the back marker. In Canada they call this guy the "whipper in". His job is to follow up on the course and the rule is that if you get passed by the back marker, you are disqualified. I raced ahead of him valiantly, and managed to ride another section or two before he was right on my tail and had announced that I was running behind. He raced me side by side up the gnarliest rock strewn dry creek, and when we reached the next section, I just throttled up, fueled by pure adrenalin. I felt like a gazelle on the African plain, about to become lunch. I raced right into the section without looking at it. I managed to get through the first part of the section clean, then encountered a hard left turn up a four foot rock face with very little run. I made it part way up the rock and fell, but I did not separate the broken bone. It hurt damn bad. At this moment while I was laying there, the back marker passed me, and was in a state of horrified shock. I was gutted. After this man and his Bultaco left us there in a cloud of sweet smoke, me devastated, I asked the observer how I could get back to the parking lot.

He pointed me in the right direction, and I remembered the warnings about anyone going backwards on the loop, being very frowned upon, but I shouldn't have worried, I mean, what are they going to do, disqualify me? At any rate, there was no one coming. Right about then as I was wrestling with the decision, and wasn't entirely sure which way to go, I came around a corner on the high mountain trail and there was the ski lodge far below in the distance. I realize just how idiotic this whole thing is, so what's one more stupid decision, in a whole string of bad choices? I headed straight for the ski lodge off the trail. As anyone with half a brain knows, it didn't take long before I was in serious trouble. There are sage brush with tentacles as long as your arm intertwined among the rocks. The only thing this place lacks for hazards might possibly be rattlesnakes! I never saw any, but I found myself on a side hill that was damn steep, on loose gravelly soil,with sage brush tentacles gabbing at my front wheel. Every time I tried to let out the clutch the rear wheel would slip downward toward a ravine that was there, forcing me to put way too much weight on my leg. I was learning first hand how the Donner party must have felt trying to negotiate this place in a heavy wagon pulled by mules.

By this time you must surely be wondering, "Where are your parents, and why are they letting you do this thing?" They probably would do this differently looking back as would I, but then I wouldn't have this incredible memory. In the end, memories are all we take with us from this one shot at life, so in that light, I would do it over again. They felt that my dream was more important than "safety" and they were right to decide this, in my case. I would have felt like I was going to curl up and die without this dream. I had already lost my girl over this thing, so I was already in for a penny and now I was in for all eight pounds, or however many rhetorical pounds there are.
Had I been managed by someone who has a history of riding competitively for decades, I'm sure they would have recommended that I should have taken more time to heal. Later on team Honda trials division manager Bob Nickelsen said that I should have had my bike taken away for as long as it took to be fully recovered. Overall it might have served me better, but we'll never know.
So there I am grinding my way along a steep loose hillside, above a small ravine, and I manage to gut it out and struggle my way down to a gravel road, which I followed to a paved two lane highway. I drove the OSSA at least a mile or more, back to the Donner Ski ranch property, sweating the possibility that I would get pulled over by a cop. I was riding along crying, as I was still very upset, and very concerned about my leg. I moped around our truck as there was no one around. After an hour or so of sitting there feeling sorry for myself riders began to trickle in from the event, I had cheered up a bit, or forgot to be upset for a moment, and got back on my bike. I was using it as a golf cart to "walk" around the parking lot, gawking at the bikes and riders.
Curt Comer had a 300 cc Kawasaki special. A guy had made a mono-shock Kawasaki with a snail pipe that looked really amazing. It ran worse than my OSSA as he was obviously ignorant of jetting as I was going into this thing. Every famous trials rider was there, Don Sweet, Rich Delaney, Martin Belair, Joe Guglielmelli, Jack Stites, Bermie Schreiber, Lane Leavitt, the list goes on and on. So I was sat there on my bike chatting with some people and Honda factory rider Mark Eggar came riding up on one of the sewing machine model RTLs, the short stroke 300, and shut it off right there. He said, I saw you ride. You ride pretty good! How did you do? I gave him a brief omission filled explanation of my unfortunate dnf. "Are you gonna' ride the Saddleback park and San Diego nationals next weekend?" "No" I said I was going to have to head back to Montana soon, as I had no ride to get to those events. "Well, I could ask Bob (Nickelsen) and Fred (Wing) if they wouldn't mind hauling you down there. "Well I'm not pre-entered" I said, trying to do the right thing and go the hell home. "Let me just see inside your trailer", I said. When I saw inside there it was a shrine to ultimate coolness in titanium, magnesium, and chrome moly splendor. They had long stroke thumpers in red and white, and short stroke super exotic ones also. They had brand new two ply pirelli M13s that were stacked to the ceiling and an entire parts department, with cables hanging in rows, and drawers full of inner tubes and small parts in factory Honda wrappings straight from Japan, all the plastic parts and spare fuel tanks hanging on the walls..

JayLael

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »

I lost what little sense I had, it was like a tiny candle in a gale force wind storm, and the next thing I know, I'm sat in the Dodge tradesman headed for southern California .. Bob and Fred took turns driving, and Mark Eggar was sat next to me on my left. The drive from northern California to southern California is epic! It seems like forever. I don't know for sure and Californians are quick to dispute this, but it seemed like it took two days grinding along in that Dodge for hours on end. We talked about all sorts of things and feasted on healthy snacks. There was no junk food on the team Honda bus, boys! We had shredded wheat to eat raw. Wheat thins, grapes,with orange juice or water, not a soft drink in sight. Fred was later promoted to a manager office job further up the food chain, but is a very nice man. Bob was a trials legend in his own right, riding trials for decades on an interesting array of machines, some English, I can't recall which ones. Honda used his skills to build the very first Honda TL 125. Bob had won the UTE cup trials on a Bultaco and was no slouch as a rider. I sucked up every tidbit of wisdom, which obviously I sorely needed. Today I still benefit from his influence. Mark Eggar had been a full on factory rider for Cotton motorcycles, before being picked up by Honda, in about 1975. Marland Whaley had his own ride back home as yet another gorgeous girl had fallen in love with him on the spot, and he was having her drive him to San Diego from Donner. Poor girl, I wonder how that turned out.

When we arrived in LA, I was amazed at the size of that place! Seeing real places I had seen on tv, whizzing past in the BBS brown Dodge tradesman 300, with team Honda was a completely surreal experience. It was like I was expecting to wake up in my bed, back in Montana , with cows to feed. I felt like pinching myself to make sure it was real, but the pain in my left leg was all I needed. It's strange, because I have never attempted to pinch myself in an actual dream.

We headed straight for Gardena to the Honda race development shop, and it was getting to be time to go our separate ways. That's when they asked me where I was going to go. I had very little money, and really no way to get any, and I told them this. Bob and Fred considered all their options to get shed of me, and Bob came up with an idea. He realized that one of the team Honda members was from my part of the world, relatively speaking, Joe Guglielmelli was from Walla Walla Washington , and we had known each other briefly starting in 1972. My uncle Whitey Hartman had sold Joe his first real trials bike, a 1971 Bultaco Sherpa T 250. Joe had won our premier trials event, the Tiger Canyon English trials, which was a Pacific northwest championship event on Honda 90!. In 1972 Joe had bested all the veteran trials riders on this relatively pitiful machine, a slightly modified Honda Super Sport 90, which was apparently a pretty capable trials bike. He called Joe at his motel, and asked if he would mind taking me in for the next week. In about an hour Joe showed up with his friend, and later to become an outstanding ISDT veteran rider, Bill Perkins also of Walla Walla.They took me to their motel in Orange California , in Orange county.

I remember being incredibly hungry. It was fairly late at night, and neither wanted to go eat at 11:00 at night, so I crutched my way to the Denny's nearby. I thought nothing of it as I sat there and looked at the menu. That's when I noticed that I was the only white person in the place. Mind you I had only seen one black person in real life ever up to this point, who dropped my engine on pavement. I was worried simply out of ignorance, and there were quite a few black people there enjoying a late dinner. I was actually in no danger but felt like I had cheated death by the time I got back to the room. Next day Joe and Bill took me to Knott's berry farm as they had both already been to Disneyland on a prior trip. There I rode the most frightening roller coaster that existed at the time. It corkscrewed above rocks and water at about 100 mph. If you haven't had this experience, I think it's worth a try, but not repeating.

Once the fun was out of the way, my money was dwindling fast, so we went to the Honda Race shop. This place is a shrine. The floors are shiny concrete, and the there are all sorts of tools, bikes, engines apart on workbenches, frames getting assembled,etc Just the smell of it was intoxicating. Jon R was putting together a works Honda RC 400. The frames were farmed out to C&J racing to weld up the bike to factory blueprints. The sand cast engine cases were red. They had both Showa and kayaba forks to play with, but they chose Showa units, and Fox Air shocks. I had never seen Fox air shocks at 17 /2 inches, before in my life.
JayLael

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 02:06:14 pm »

The bike in this Marty Smith photo is a type one. It was already torched into bits by this time. The dumpster there was near level full with hacked up pieces of these type one frames. !975 was a bad memory they all were hoping to forget, courtesy of Buckwheat Bob Hannah. He wouldn't become a hurricane for a year or two yet. Those type one bikes were filled with problems. The RC 400 was the moment they turned the corner, and really had built a superior motorcycle. After talking with Jon for awhile I wandered off to find a bathroom. I could not resist he urge to go the other way down the hallway from where I had come. I came upon Alladin's cave, I'm sure of it.
There in rows inside a smallish room with a locked door, and prison glass, I could see a whole array of prototypes that had been tried and then shoved into this room leaned up against the pile was the XL 350 RC hybrid ridden to victory by Rich Eirstedt at Evel Kneivel's snake river canyon jump. It had a weird back fender that was a strange two tone color scheme, in red and white, like a Holstein cow. The exhaust was enormous and hanging out one side quite far. I remember thinking there was good reason they had locked it away from the world. It looked like a tank compared to those new RC 400s.There were a few production bikes like they sold at the time, all in red, and a couple of trials bikes, and yes maybe a few examples of their prior machines. What became of them would best be asked of Jon R, or Fred Wing. If they know they'd tell you as they are very nice people.

The week I spent with team Honda in Los Angeles went by pretty quickly. Before I knew it, it was time to go practice up for the two day nationals that weekend at Saddleback park. Having spent a few days just enjoying the Southern California weather, Joe, Bill Perkins and myself packed up the van and headed out to ride. I made an earnest attempt to practice, but it only took about an hour before I realized I was doing myself more harm than good. I remember deciding to bag the practice session, and rode down the hill a mile or so, to the MX track.  There I witnessed things I will never likely forget. There was a small gathering of interested riders and press surrounding the Honda pits, where Dirt Bike magazine editor Gunnar Lindstrom was about to take some test laps on the factory Honda RC 400, for a magazine article. During this process I was standing beside a hero of mine, Pierre Karsmakers, who incidentally told me he had been national trials champion of Holland, earlier in his long and amazing career.  Next thing I know, Roger DeCoster was cutting some blistering hot laps on the works Suzuki, being chased by Wheelsmith Maico rider Gaylon Mosier. They passed each other back and forth multiple times at a blistering pace. I will never forget marveling at how Roger's lines were always right on top of his tire tracks from the previous laps. To say he was smooth and consistent, would be a gross understatement! There is a very good reason he is known as "The Man".

Before long it was time to go back to the trials area, and rejoin the Honda trials guys for what was left of the day, but I was done riding. As I sat visiting with Wiltz Wagner, and Lane Leavitt, I was changing my boots, and when Lane and Wiltz saw my left leg, I swear they looked like they might throw up. It was turning green! Needless to say, Wiltz and Lane convinced me to go to the nearest hospital as soon as we left the track.

Joe drove us to the Orange County Hospital emergency room, where the Doctor was also horrified that my leg was just about done for, permanently. He prescribed my leg be re-casted, and left the room to see to the other emergencies there. I saw a 10 year old boy who had just gotten a brand new bicycle for his birthday. Some bigger kids told him to give them his bike. When he refused they stomped him in the privates mercilessly and took it anyway. I couldn't help but cry for him a little bit.  The nurse casted my leg, all the while scolding me like and angry mother. I was in real trouble with her!

After finding out my leg was in danger of being lost, Joe, Bill and myself had sort of an emergency meeting. We determined the best course of action would be for me to fly home the next morning, and leave my bike and gear at Honda, until such time that it could be shipped to me.

I only had about $120.00 cash left, and the one way ticket to Montana costed about $240.00.  God bless them, true friends they were, Joe and Bill pooled some of their money and made up the difference. Bright and early Friday morning I was on the plane headed north. At the Portland international airport, I had to crutch my way from the far end of the place, to the other far end of the place, to board the little twin engine dc 8 from Portland to Missoula. While waiting in line, there was a group of freaky looking dudes, some of them with beards, joking around shoving each other back and forth, and being generally rude. I was glad they were in first class so I never had to see them again. I noticed the name of their rock band on the manager's brief case. When I got home, and back in school, I asked my good friend Glenn Olsen if he had ever heard of some rock band called ZZ top. Needless to say, yes he had. 
About six months went by before the crate showed up. It was a full on factory Honda crate, with my boots, riding gear, tools, and OSSA inside. It didn't take long to get it put back together, but my dreams would never really recover. That is why in 1987, though completely under qualified for it, I rode in the world trials championship round at Bodines Pa, where I finished 23rd place. Not quite what I had dreamed of as a kid, but it will have to do.  (end)

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:56:44 pm by JayLael » Logged
JayLael

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »

Just seemed like I might as well post the epic story. I apologize for taking it down before. Writing about things I did when I was younger and stupider expose some things I am not terribly proud of. This is not in any way an attempt to glorify me, but simply to tell the tale as I remember it. JL
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:56:03 pm by JayLael » Logged
Blancgonnet
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 02:18:46 am »

Awesome story, second time I've read it! You need to get this published!
JayLael

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »

Thank you Daniel, for reading this all, and for liking it. The Honda team was really something back then. I wish you the best of Luck riding for the new Honda team! The future looks so bright, you're gonna' have to wear shades! Grin
dwertsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

Thanks for taking the time to put your memories down Jay. What a ride you had.
I got into this sport way too late and would have loved to have been involved in it earlier but it's all about choices we make along the way I guess.
It's great to hear about some of your riding history - Thanks for sharing!

JayLael

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »

David: You sure have made up for lost time. I think everyone who has watched you progress is so impressed with how far you have come, since you started. I'd like to think that I helped in that process, and every time I see you ride with such grace and correct form, I feel a sense of pride. Well done sir, and thank you for the comments. Smiley I think I will write some more things down, as inspiration strikes me.
woodsrider

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 11:55:48 am »

Great story!!! Thanks for sharing!! Quite an adventure!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: