Observed Trials
May 19, 2024, 10:39:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2001 Montesa 315R Trials Bike  (Read 8230 times)
Tawmass

View Profile Email
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:49:40 pm »

I bought it a few weeks ago from a guy in Everett, WA. I had one just like it as my first trials bike, then sold it and updated to a Montesa 4RT. When my wife became interested in trials, I thought I'd try to find another 315R and eventually did (they're rare).

Here are the details:
 I got her the 2001 Montesa 315R (a Honda CR250 motor. Same bike as my first one) for something with parts interchangeability between it and my Montesa 4RT. Turns out it's great, but she wanted something lighter and especially something she could kickstart - she can ride it fine, just can't start it. I recently found a Gasser 125 trials bike for sale and we got that, hence her Montesa 315R is now up for sale.

The previous owners were expert-level trials riders, so it has the normal nicks of trials riding. The previous owner said he:

* replaced the wheel bearings and steering-head bearings. It appears that way, plus the linkage bearings feel good.
* put on new chain/sprockets and fork seals (still some stiction on the forks since they're new)
 * he installed Pro-Taper fat bars and appropriate new custom mounts. Have the stock mounts in a box
* new throttle housing and cable
* new rear-brake pads (still in package)
 * front-fender spacers (so things can't get between fender and tire, then break the fender [like what I did on my first trials bike - that was expensive])
 * new grips
 * changed brake/clutch fluids
* added a pipe guard
 * has spare spokes in a bag

I have
* replaced the carb nipple where the gas tube comes into the carb. It had a crack and appeared to be Epoxy'd previously and dripped.
 * added new gas line and inline fuel filter
 * added one-way vent hose on gas cap
 * replaced the chain slider
 * replaced the roached rear fender with a decent used one, plus have a spare, spendy ($150!) new one
 * flushed tranny fluid so it has the new/expensive Elf 740 factory oil
 * fixed the radiator fan, so it now works proper (was a connector issue)
 * replaced spark plug
 * cleaned/adjusted the carburetor
 * fixed the sloppy bar levers
 * got new rubbers for the bar lever hydraulic pistons
 * got new rear-brake lever bearing (still uninstalled)
 * made the obligatory Montesa petcock lever mod
 * made the obligatory Montesa choke-lever mod

Things I would look into:
 * it has no side stand. I'm sure it's in someone's garage somewhere - dang
 * take off the top end and check condition of piston/rings. I just haven't had the time, but it has good compression
 * tighten up the muffler mount (had to do same on my original 315R)
 * would need newer tires at some point

Am sure I'm missing some things, as I'm pretty anal about my equipment. No title, but bill of sale. The air filter is clean and oiled. I've ran Redline oil at 70:1 (factory recommends 80:1), and only ran non-ethanol/AV gas mix in it. Again, it's got (typical) nicks and garfs from normal trials riding, but has solid bones, which is why I got it for my wife. I have over $2400 (or more) into it, so selling for $2400. It's a Honda and beautifully made. This is a bike that would get you into trials cheap if you're new, or a solid ride if you're experienced. It will serve you very well with Japanese quality. Parts are readily available from:  www.lewisportusa.com
 thanks,
 -Tom
phone: 503.681.8881
Craig's List ad is here: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/3645689844.html

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:35:26 am by Tawmass » Logged
Tawmass

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »

Bike is now sold.
-Tom
Pages: [1]
  Print